When a person is charged with a sex crime in California, and he or she is found guilty in a court of law, most of us are relieved that justice has been served. However, criminal trials related to sexual abuse rarely address the well-being of the survivors of the abuse. It is often appropriate for survivors of sexual abuse to hire a California sexual abuse lawyer and pursue restitution for what happened to them through a civil lawsuit.
At Greenberg Gross LLP, our sexual abuse attorneys are dedicated to helping survivors of sexual abuse obtain a sense of justice and compensation. We have a track record of success, have obtained multi-million-dollar settlements on behalf of our clients, and want to support you in any way we can.
Why Trust Greenberg Gross With Your Sexual Abuse Case?
- Our two founding partners have been named among the top 100 lawyers in California. National publications have recognized other attorneys at our firm as “litigation stars,” “best lawyers,” and “super lawyers.”
- We offer compassionate legal representation to survivors of sexual abuse when they need it the most.
- Greenberg Gross has significant experience helping sexual assault survivors seek justice for their damages.
- We take California sexual abuse cases on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that we only collect legal fees after we obtain compensation for our clients.
How Can a California Sexual Abuse Attorney Help You?
Sexual abuse cases are unlike other personal injury claims. It is very easy for survivors of sexual abuse to feel overwhelmed by the task of filing such a complex claim, particularly when going up against major companies or institutions.
A California sexual abuse lawyer from our firm can help level the playing field. Your attorney will provide a strong voice during legal proceedings, both in and out of court, and make sure you are always heard. At Greenberg Gross, we will:
- Conduct a complete investigation into your abuse to gather all evidence needed to prove liability.
- Keep your identity private, if that is what you desire.
- Work with experts to assess fair compensation for you.
- Ensure we file your civil lawsuit within California’s statute of limitations.
- Work with various experts, including medical professionals, investigators, and others, when establishing proof and liability for your case.
- Handle all settlement negotiations and court proceedings on your behalf.
Can I Handle a Sexual Abuse Case in California on My Own?
Everyone is allowed to handle a lawsuit on their own. However, several possible challenges arise when you choose not to hire an attorney. Those who handle a sexual abuse claim in California without a lawyer may:
- Pay steep financial costs: When you hire Greenberg Gross for your sexual abuse claim in California, we pay all case-related expenses. From filing costs to consulting fees, you don’t have to worry about these obligations. If you handle your case on your own, however, all of these costs will be your responsibility.
- Need to complete intensive research into the legal process: Unless you’re a lawyer, you may have significant research ahead of you. The civil legal system in California is complex and governed by all sorts of rules and procedures. Our team knows these rules well.
- Have to learn about sexual offenses in California: In addition to researching the legal process, you may need to learn about the specific criminal offenses relevant to your case. This takes time and energy you may not have.
- Struggle to balance all aspects of their lives: Litigating a civil sexual abuse case in California is time-consuming. If you choose to handle yours without a lawyer’s help, then other aspects of your life—your job, family, and personal well-being—may suffer.
- Face significant trauma: You want to put this challenging time behind you. You don’t want to face triggers that could cause significant emotional distress. By partnering with an attorney, they can manage the legal process while you focus on your health, mental well-being, and family.
- Get less than you’re owed. A lawyer from Greenberg Gross can use their years of experience to determine what you deserve for your pain and suffering. If you don’t partner with a lawyer, you could accept less than you’re owed, potentially putting you in dire financial straits.
Because we work on a contingency-fee-basis, there are no barriers to hiring Greenberg Gross. We will start your case as quickly as possible, and we’ll settle for nothing less than the recovery you deserve. Most importantly, our representation strives to protect you from suffering further harm.
Types of Sexual Abuse Cases We Handle in California
Sexual abuse crimes take various forms. In some cases, sex crimes and sexual abuse cases revolve around a single individual. Other times, these crimes are the result of the institutional failings of a larger entity.
Sexual abuse cases can involve physical, sexual conduct as well as non-physical offenses. Some of the crimes that our California sexual abuse lawyers seek justice for include:
- Statutory rape
- Child sexual abuse
- Oral copulation of a minor
- Child prostitution
- Child pornography
- Internet sex crimes
- Sex trafficking
If you are the victim of a sex crime not listed here, contact Greenberg Gross today. Our interest is getting justice for survivors of sexual abuse in California, and we put no limits on the types of people we represent.
Who Bears Liability for Sexual Abuse Cases in California?
Those liable for sexual abuse in California may include:
- Members of the clergy and other church leaders
- Teachers and school administrators
- Daycare employees
- Healthcare professionals
- Sports coaches
- Family members
- Counselors and therapists
- Various trusted mentors
- Employers and coworkers
Our California sexual abuse attorneys have held companies and institutions responsible for instances of sexual abuse. These institutions often know that abuse has taken place, yet fail to take appropriate steps to keep victims safe.
Sometimes, institutions work actively to cover up instances of sexual abuse, and they allow the perpetrators to continue harming others.
Time Limits for Filing a Sexual Abuse Claim in California
California has multiple deadlines for sexual abuse and sexual assault criminal cases, though abuse survivors need to be aware of the statute of limitations for civil claims. The statute of limitations will vary depending on whether the abuse survivor was a child or an adult at the time of the abuse.
AB 218 significantly expanded the statute of limitations for filing civil lawsuits if the survivor was a child at the time the abuse occurred. Now, survivors must generally file a civil lawsuit against the alleged perpetrator of the abuse either:
- Twenty-two years after reaching the age of majority (40 years of age); or,
- Five years from the date the individual discovered or reasonably should have discovered a psychological injury or illness after reaching the age of majority.
Adult abuse survivors must generally start their civil action from the later of the following periods:
- Within 10 years from the date of the last act, or attempted act, of abuse or assault
- Within three years from the date the survivor discovers or reasonably should have discovered an injury or illness as the result of the sexual abuse
Possible Compensation for Survivors of Sexual Abuse in California
There may be various types of compensation available to survivors of sexual abuse in California. While our California sexual abuse attorneys understand that no amount of money will ever erase the pain of what happened, various types of monetary awards could help you move forward.
Your recoverable damages may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- The cost of therapy or rehabilitation
- Lost wages and other job-related benefits, such as bonuses and promotions
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Psychological effects
This is not an exhaustive list of the damages you can recover through legal action. To determine what you’re owed, our attorneys will:
- Consult with experts. We want to understand the scope of your mental trauma, so we can accurately convey your pain and suffering. This may involve interviewing mental health professionals and sexual assault advocates.
- Evaluate your healthcare costs. We want you to recover everything you need to account for your necessary healthcare expenses, such as mental health counseling.
- Anticipate your future losses. Compensation shouldn’t just pay for the losses you’re dealing with now; you deserve recovery for anticipated treatment costs and harm to your earning power.
Greenberg Gross has secured millions for sexual assault survivors. We’re committed to doing everything possible to resolve your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in California
At Greenberg Gross, we fight for justice. Our goal as sexual abuse attorneys is to hold the perpetrators of sexual abuse in California accountable for their actions. We want to ensure that survivors of sexual abuse and sexual assault receive compensation and closure for what happened to them.
To consult with our team on your case, call us today. We offer free case reviews.