The sexual abuse of athletes, particularly the abuse of student athletes, demands justice. Unfortunately, this type of sexual abuse happens regularly in and around the California area. At Greenberg Gross LLP, our team is standing by to help when you want a California athlete sexual abuse attorney by your side.
Our lawyers understand the lifelong impact that sexual abuse can have on survivors, and we aim to hold perpetrators of this abuse, and the responsible institutions, accountable for their actions. If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse in athletics, contact our team today, so we can seek justice and compensation on your behalf.
Why Choose Greenberg Gross for Your Athlete Sexual Abuse Case?
- We offer legal representation to survivors of sexual trauma in their time of need.
- Greenberg Gross has significant experience handling complex personal injury cases. We strive to hold institutions and corporations accountable. This includes sports teams, schools, and private recreation clubs.
- Our California sexual abuse attorneys handle every sexual abuse case as if it will go to trial. This means we’re prepared to champion your rights regardless of how your case unfolds.
- We are proud to take California athlete sexual abuse cases on a contingency-fee-basis. This means that our clients do not pay any legal fees while their cases unfold. Our attorneys only get paid after we obtain the compensation to which our clients are entitled.
How Can a California Athlete Sexual Abuse Lawyer Help You or Your Loved One?
When you retain a California athlete sexual abuse attorney to help with your athlete sexual abuse case, you can breathe a sigh of relief. As a survivor of sexual abuse, you should not have to worry about filing deadlines, communicating with the other side, or the legal process.
Your lawyer will give you peace of mind by handling everything on your behalf. Our team will:
- Thoroughly investigate your case and help identify the perpetrators and other liable parties
- Identify all the damages you’ve suffered because of the sexual abuse
- Calculate the monetary value of your damages
- Document your damages with records of your physical injuries, psychological and emotional hardship, and other challenges
- Explain the laws that pertain to your civil claim
- Work with sexual abuse experts to gather all necessary evidence to prove liability
- Negotiate a settlement
- Be prepared to take your case all the way to trial, if necessary
Who Is Liable for Athlete Sexual Abuse?
One of the key questions that our clients ask is: “Who will be held accountable for my abuse?” Liability for sports sexual abuse cases may seem straightforward. Clearly, the perpetrator of the alleged abuse and responsible institution should be held accountable.
In some cases, our California athlete sexual abuse attorneys discover that the perpetrator of the abuse is a coach, volunteer, physical therapist, physician, or another staff member. However, there may also be other liable parties in these cases. This could include an institution such as:
- The school that is affiliated with the sports team
- The YMCA or a Boys & Girls Club
- A private sports league
- A gym
Organizations can be held accountable for the actions committed by their employees or volunteers. Sometimes, we discover that organizations actively work to cover up instances of sexual abuse. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for the perpetrators of sexual abuse to continue operating in an official capacity.
We’ll Seek Financial Justice for Your Abuse-Related Damages
As civil lawyers, we do everything possible to get justice for survivors of sexual abuse in California.
Financial recovery can significantly help you–– even if it doesn’t eliminate the trauma of your abuse. We can seek compensation for:
- The pain and suffering you’ve experienced: We’ll work with you to identify all forms of pain and suffering you’ve experienced, which may include depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), substance abuse issues, suicidal ideation, and lost quality of life.
- Any abuse-related medical costs: If you’ve undergone medical treatment for your sexual abuse, we’ll seek reimbursement for all abuse-related medical costs.
- Counseling, medications, and other treatments for your trauma: If you’ve undergone psychological treatment for abuse-related symptoms, or you plan to get such treatment, we’ll seek reimbursement for its cost. We can help you arrange treatment if you have yet to see a mental health professional for your trauma.
If you’ve experienced any other damages because of your sexual abuse, we’ll include those losses in your claim. We make sure to listen intently to our clients, so we can assess their losses and advocate for what they deserve.
We may also hire experts to help us understand your losses.
Why Partner with Our Athlete Sexual Abuse Team in California?
The choice to pursue a civil case related to sexual abuse is not always easy, but we believe that it is necessary.
We see in high-profile cases of athlete sexual abuse, like the case involving former USA Gymnastics physician Larry Nassar, that multiple organizations are often responsible for the abuse. A civil case is a way to hold all responsible parties accountable, regardless of whether those organizations face criminal penalties.
You may choose to bring a civil case for your sexual abuse because:
- You can’t be certain of how criminal proceedings will unfold, and you want to ensure that justice is done through civil proceedings.
- You believe that financial recovery can help alleviate the effects of your abuse, by funding treatment and helping in other ways.
- You have other motivations that make a civil suit worthwhile.
Greenberg Gross will work to ensure that your civil case is not an imposition on you. We understand that you’re focused on your recovery, as well as other responsibilities. Our team will handle your entire case, providing updates but giving you the space that you need to focus on yourself.
Sexual abuse by those in athletics cannot go without consequences. Greenberg Gross takes sexual abuse cases extremely seriously, and we treat victims like members of our family. Let us fight to get justice for you.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Athlete Sexual Abuse Attorney in California
If you or somebody you care about has endured sexual abuse in a sports institution in the California area, contact the team at Greenberg Gross today for help with your case.
You may have a limited amount of time to file your case, and we want to ensure that you obtain justice and compensation for what happened. Our California athlete sexual abuse lawyers are ready to help you.