The leader of the Mexico-based mega-church La Luz del Mundo (LLDM), Naason Joaquin Garcia, was convicted of two counts of oral copulation with a minor and one count of lewd acts with a minor.
To help put an end to the longstanding cycle of exploitation and abuse reported to exist within LLDM, in early 2020, representing Sochil Martin, Greenberg Gross filed a lawsuit against LLDM as an institution, as well as against Garcia and others, for violation of human trafficking and racketeering (RICO) statutes and several other federal and state laws.
Here, we will discuss those charges, as well as how survivors can proceed with civil cases against LLDM, Garcia, and others who perpetrated or assisted with the perpetration of crimes, civil wrongs, and the exploitation of its members. The California La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse attorneys at Greenberg Gross help survivors of sexual abuse gain the closure, justice, and compensation they deserve.
Why Hire Greenberg Gross for Your La Luz del Mundo Sexual Abuse Claim?
- Our sexual abuse lawyers in California have significant experience taking on major adversaries in court. Our clients benefit from our experience because we give them access to the same resources their adversaries have.
- Because we have handled so many high-profile and high-stakes cases, this makes us a natural fit when taking on major religious institutions.
- We take the time to get to know every client personally because we want to ensure we meet their goals while their case progresses.
- We take California La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means our clients will not have to pay a dime until we secure the compensation they need.
How Can a California La Luz del Mundo Sexual Abuse Lawyer Help?
A skilled La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse attorney in California is going to be necessary when taking on a high-profile case like this. This mega-church has significant resources that can be used to defend the institution, Garcia, his associates, and others working on behalf of LLDM.
However, a qualified lawyer with our firm will bring the resources necessary to level the playing field. More importantly, our attorneys can:
- Comb through all the evidence and help establish the liability of all perpetrators of abuse in these cases
- Work with law enforcement officials and prosecutors who are investigating the institution
- Help ensure survivors receive adequate assistance, including mental health and medical care evaluations
- Fully prepare to take the case to trial by filing all necessary paperwork and building the strongest case possible against La Luz del Mundo and specific perpetrators
Understanding La Luz del Mundo Sexual Abuse Cases
The California State Attorney General’s Office had filed over a dozen felony counts against Naason Joaquin Garcia, including the forcible rape of a minor, forcible oral copulation of a person under 18, unlawful sexual intercourse, committing a lewd act on a child, conspiracy, and possession of child pornography. Garcia’s criminal trial had been delayed and continued numerous times before a significant turn of events in early June.
On June 8, 2022, Garcia appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court where he was sentenced to 16 years and eight months in prison for sexual abuse. A week before his sentencing, per a news release from the Attorney General of California, Garcia pleaded guilty to three counts of sexually abusing girls who were members of his congregation. Garcia’s unexpected plea deal means his trial will not occur. It also means he will not have to face other charges, which included trafficking girls who were members of LLDM.
While the State’s charges against Garcia concern criminal behavior, they lend significant weight to any civil claims that may be made by survivors of Garcia’s abuse. The full extent and range of Garcia’s abuse are not yet known, but reports indicate the existence of hundreds of sexual assault survivors in the United States and around the world.
We Support La Luz del Mundo Sexual Abuse Survivors’ Right to Recovery
We want abuse survivors of La Luz del Mundo to know there is a path ahead for their future and that we can help them take one step at a time toward a new beginning. We fight for the recovery of sex abuse survivors so they can gain the justice they deserve. If you experienced abuse at LLDM, we understand this is a sensitive and challenging time for you and your loved ones. We will support you as you share your story and seek to hold those who harmed you accountable.
When you work with our compassionate California La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse attorneys, we will listen intently to your story to make sure we get every detail right. We personalize our approach to your case to ensure we meet your unique needs. We know not everyone’s story is the same.
We will help you gather evidence for your case, including helping you recount major events and talking with witnesses who can back up your claims. When we manage your case, we will:
- Plan and execute a legal strategy for your case and ensure we file it within California’s statute of limitations
- Explain how the law applies to your civil case and answer your questions
- File any appeals and represent you in all hearings, meetings, and conferences
- Thoroughly review your case to determine the financial and non-financial costs of the abuse you experienced at LLDM
- Assisting with reporting to law enforcement, if desired
Compensation in your case could account for the cost of your medical treatment, lost income, and therapy.
We Are Committed to Helping You Heal
LLDM is a high-profile case that likely will get attention for years to come. Understandably, while this can be overwhelming for some to deal with, we are here for survivors during the entire process.
If you want to hold your abusers accountable, you can, and you do not have to do it alone. We will protect your rights and look out for your interests.
Free Consultation With a La Luz del Mundo Sexual Abuse Attorney in California
If you or somebody you love is the survivor of sexual abuse that occurred at the mega-church La Luz del Mundo, by Naason Joaquin Garcia, or by any bishops or pastors of LLDM, reach out to Greenberg Gross as soon as possible.
We have the experience necessary to handle high-profile cases just like this. Our La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse lawyers will provide you with compassionate assistance as we tenaciously take on LLDM and Garcia in court. Our goal is to ensure that survivors receive the justice and compensation they deserve. When you want a dedicated California La Luz del Mundo sexual abuse attorney, contact our team today.