After a rideshare accident, victims often feel especially powerless. Who is going to pay for your losses? What if you can’t go back to work because of your injuries? If you’re confused and wondering about your next steps, our car accident attorneys can help you determine your options.
If you were injured in a rideshare accident due to negligence, your attorneys may pursue compensation from the responsible driver or the rideshare company. Our California rideshare accident lawyers provide everything you need to file a case for your injuries and other related losses. Plus, if we can help, you do not pay until we recover compensation on your behalf.
How do I Know If I Can File a Claim for a Rideshare Accident in California?
Personal injury cases rest on the principle of negligence. So if you were using a rideshare and the driver (or another motorist) made a mistake that caused an accident, they will likely be financially responsible for your injuries. However, the rideshare company could be liable for your damages in some cases.
Different Insurance Policies Apply Depending on the Rideshare Driver’s Status
Determining who is liable in a rideshare accident and which insurance policy applies can be tricky and depends on what the driver was doing at the time of the accident.
Different policies apply at different times for Uber and Lyft drivers. For example, if:
- The driver was logged into the app and waiting for a ride request when the accident happened, the rideshare company’s commercial insurance covers damages up to $50,000 per injury (capped at $100,000 per incident) and $25,000 for property damage.
- The driver accepted a ride request or was carrying a passenger, Uber and Lyft’s commercial auto insurance covers up to $1 million in damages.
- If the driver was signed out of the app at the time of the accident, you would pursue a claim against their personal auto insurance–if the rideshare driver caused the accident.
While Uber and Lyft provide their drivers with generous coverage, navigating these cases can get complicated. As such, a rideshare accident attorney with experience in this field can be an important ally – especially if your injuries are severe.
Our Attorneys Will Pursue Available Options for Your Compensation
Rideshare accidents can become complicated very quickly. Whether you were the rideshare driver, passenger, or a third-party motorist, we will uncover the best option for your compensation.
What Compensation Can I Claim after a Rideshare Accident?
The amount of compensation you could recover after a rideshare accident will be determined by many factors, such as the severity of your injuries, the circumstances of the accident, and the insurance coverage available. As a general guide, however, the following types of compensation are available:
- Costs related to your medical bills, treatment, and rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages and compensation if your ability to work in the future is affected
- Losses related to physical impairment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
Insurance companies often play hardball when settling claims, and they rarely open with their best offer—as such, assessing how the accident has impacted your home and work life is essential before filing a claim. This way, you have an accurate estimate to go by.
Our rideshare attorneys take the time to understand how the accident and your injuries have affected you when pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Do I Need a Rideshare Accident Lawyer to Manage My Injury Case?
We have highlighted a few ways we can help, such as assessing your financial damages and identifying the insurance coverage that may apply to your case. However, there are many other ways we support our clients, including:
- Being your voice in the legal process and a trusted source of information for your questions
- Gathering and organizing evidence to build your claim (which can include formal requests for information from the rideshare company related to their drivers)
- Interviewing witnesses
- Identifying liable parties
- Identifying your damages
- Proving how the negligence of another party caused your injuries
- Leading settlement negotiations
- Reviewing settlement offers
- Representing you in court
It can be daunting to go against large companies alone, especially while recovering from injuries. Let us take care of that, so you can focus on your health and well-being without the stress of managing a complex legal case.
Determining Liability in a Rideshare Accident Case
One of the most important services an attorney provides is determining liability. The evidence they collect and present to insurance companies can make or break your case. Our attorneys determine liability by:
- Gathering evidence like police reports, traffic camera footage, video and photo evidence, and eyewitness testimony
- Using the evidence to demonstrate that the at-fault driver was behaving negligently or recklessly when they caused the collision
- Connecting your injuries and losses to the accident with the documentation we collect
How Long do I Have to File a Rideshare Accident Claim?
Keep in mind there is limited time to file your injury lawsuit. Per California statutes, injured parties generally have two years to take action for rideshare accidents. Unfortunately, if the deadline expires, you may be unable to pursue compensation. As such, we always recommend acting sooner rather than later to avoid complications.
Whatever your circumstances, the Greenberg Gross team will take care of everything needed for your claim. We understand the impact an injury can have on your home and work life. Our rideshare accident lawyers use this information to portray what you have been through when pursuing the compensation you need to move past this difficult time.
Let Us Put Our Experience, Knowledge, and Resources to Work for You Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a rideshare accident, the team at Greenberg Gross will fight for the financial damages you are entitled to recover. Our trial lawyers do not shy away from cases involving powerful companies such as Uber or Lyft and have gained a reputation for our achievements within the legal profession. We are here to put all that experience to work for you, too.
Contact us to request a free initial consultation with our team today to learn more about your legal options and what we can do to help.