The sexual abuse of students in California public schools occurs much more often than parents and guardians realize. Unfortunately, this type of abuse occurs in elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the state.
At Greenberg Gross LLP, our team is here to help if you want a California public school sexual abuse attorney by your side. If you or somebody you know has suffered from abuse by a school staff member, volunteer, or even a fellow student, we want to seek justice through the state’s civil system.
Why Hire Greenberg Gross for Your Public School Sexual Abuse Case?
- We have recovered millions for survivors of abuse that took place at California public schools.
- Two of the founding partners at Greenberg Gross have been named among the top 100 lawyers in California.
- Our team offers compassionate legal representation to survivors of sexual abuse in their times of need.
- Our firm has significant experience handling complicated personal injury cases against public institutions, particularly involving sexual abuse survivors seeking justice for what they have endured.
- We take California public school sexual abuse cases on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that our clients don’t pay any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation they deserve.
How Can a California Public School Sexual Abuse Lawyer Serve You?
It is crucial to protect the rights of public school sexual abuse survivors. Schools and school districts have tremendous resources at their disposal to fight against allegations of child sexual abuse. By hiring a California sexual abuse attorney with experience dealing with public entities, you can level the playing field against these large institutions.
An attorney can:
- Use the resources of their office to investigate the allegations.
- Help establish the liability of the abuser.
- Work to uncover evidence that the school or district may have covered up.
- File the case within the appropriate statute of limitations.
- Work with trusted sexual abuse experts and medical professionals to properly calculate total damages.
- Fully prepare the case for trial to ensure the survivor of the sexual abuse receives fair treatment.
Why Choose Greenberg Gross for Your Civil Sexual Abuse Case?
Greenberg Gross has a team of high-stakes trial attorneys – and few civil cases are more high-stakes than ones involving sexual abuse. Our clients who’ve experienced sexual abuse choose us to represent them because:
- We are client-focused: If you were to ask our past clients, you’d learn that our team makes client service a priority. We listen to those we represent, understanding their goals for the case. We also empower clients to make important decisions in their case, including whether to accept a settlement.
- We have a track record of results: Our case results include many large settlements and verdicts. With several multi-million-dollar case results under our belt, we’re capable of obtaining the compensation you deserve.
- We handle sexual abuse cases regularly and know what they require: A sexual abuse case is unlike any other civil case. Your claim will require the utmost compassion and discretion, and that’s exactly what we’ll provide. At the same time, we will fight for justice with the tenacity that a case of this nature demands.
- We have roots in the Golden State: Our firm was founded in, and this makes us well-suited to handle your sexual abuse case in California. We’re familiar with the public school system (including its sexual abuse problems), civil law in California, and other state-specific factors that could affect your case.
We take sexual abuse in California personally, as this is our state too. We will fight for a full measure of justice against those who’ve harmed you or your child.
The Benefits of Hiring an Attorney from Our Team
There are several benefits of hiring a lawyer to lead your sexual abuse case. Having an attorney on your side will:
- Prevent you from reliving the trauma of the abuse
- Allow you to focus on your psychological and emotional recovery without having to worry about your case
- Afford you all of the resources that our firm provides, from financial support to investigators, expert witnesses, and paralegals
- Give you a sounding board for your questions and concerns
- Protect you from the stress that can result when you handle a legal case on your own
Our firm will oversee every step of your sexual abuse case in California. We want to hear your account of events and learn any specific goals that you have. Our team also handles day-to-day responsibilities, so that you can focus your time and attention elsewhere.
Our clients do not always realize what it takes to litigate a sexual abuse case in California. We must complete paperwork, gather evidence, hire experts, and take any other steps before we even get to settlement negotiations. This process takes time, energy, and patience. If you don’t hire an attorney, this complex process will fall on your shoulders.
Greenberg Gross is ready to serve you now.
How Often does Sexual Abuse Occur in California Schools?
There are no exact statistics related to how often sexual abuse occurs in schools throughout California. However, data provided by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) shows that approximately 10 percent of all children will experience sexual abuse before their 18th birthday.
This is an alarming statistic, but perhaps an even more shocking number is 93 percent. According to RAINN, 93 percent of the perpetrators of sexual abuse are known to the survivor. Further breaking these numbers down, 59 percent of the known abusers are acquaintances (as opposed to family members), which includes teachers and school staff members.
Who Is Liable for a California Public School Sexual Abuse Case?
Multiple parties may be liable for an instance of sexual abuse in a public school. First and foremost, any perpetrator of sexual abuse must be held accountable. Our attorneys regularly discover that perpetrators within the school system include:
- Other school staff
- School volunteers
- Older students in leadership positions
However, other parties could also be liable in these cases, particularly those who failed to take steps to prevent abuse from occurring or covered up abuse after its discovery. This can include other staff members at a school, as well as the school or school district.
How Long do You Have to File a California Public School Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
As of January 1, 2020, survivors of sexual abuse in California have a new tool that alters the statute of limitations in these cases. AB 218 passed in 2019 and took effect in 2020, and includes several changes, such as:
- Expanding the amount of time that survivors have to file civil lawsuits against abusers or entities that fail to prevent their abuse. Now, sexual abuse survivors can file civil claims until they reach 40 years of age, or within five years from the time they discover the abuse, whichever timeframe is later.
- AB 218 also created a three-year “look back” window that allows adult victims who were abused as children to file sexual abuse lawsuits if they were previously barred from doing so because of the statute of limitations.
We understand that the timeframes involved in these cases can seem confusing. Reach out to one of our California public school sexual abuse attorneys for a free consultation regarding your case today. We can help determine the best steps moving forward and explain how the state’s statute of limitations applies to you.
Compensation for California Public School Sexual Abuse Survivors
There may be various types of compensation available to victims of public school sexual abuse in California. Our attorneys strive to ensure that survivors receive compensation for any medical care or mental health care related to sexual abuse. Additionally, we work to obtain compensation for survivors’ pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
We will seek recovery for each of your abuse-related expenses. Our goal is to bring you the closure you need in the form of financial recovery.
Contact a Public School Sexual Abuse Attorney in California
If you or somebody you love has been the victim of sexual abuse in any California public school, today is the time to seek legal assistance. At Greenberg Gross, we understand how challenging coming forward with these cases can be, regardless of whether or not the survivor is still a minor or now an adult.
Our compassionate team has experience handling these claims, and we know what to do to protect your identity, ensure that you are comfortable moving forward, and help hold the perpetrators of the sexual abuse accountable. You are a survivor, and we want to help make sure that you receive the closure, justice, and compensation you deserve. When you need a California public school sexual abuse attorney by your side, contact our team today.