No person should ever have to worry about being sexually abused or assaulted. However, survivors of sexual assault often find it challenging to gain closure and compensation for what happened to them. Even if a person is charged with a sex crime and found guilty in court, this does not necessarily guarantee justice for the survivor.
At Greenberg Gross LLP, we are standing by to help if you need a California sexual assault attorney by your side. We handle the civil side of sexual assault claims and work to ensure that survivors receive the compensation and closure they deserve.
Why Hire Greenberg Gross for Your Sexual Assault Case?
Reasons to hire Greenberg Gross for your sexual assault case include:
- The sexual assault lawyers at Greenberg Gross are among the leaders in litigating complex sexual assault cases in California.
- We have extensive experience and success helping sexual assault survivors get justice for what they have gone through
- We strive to hold individuals, institutions, and companies accountable for their harmful actions.
- We make sure that every client receives individualized attention for their case so we can ensure that they are properly always cared for.
- We take California sexual assault cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our attorneys will not collect any legal fees until we secure compensation for you.
How Can a California Sexual Assault Lawyer Help?
A sexual assault attorney in California will provide valuable assistance to a survivor’s case. A lawyer can use their resources and legal expertise to conduct a full investigation into the incident. We will identify all liable parties and work to hold them accountable. Liable parties can include:
- The perpetrator of the alleged assault
- Any institution or company that covered up the assault
- Any institution or company that failed to prevent the assault
ACalifornia sexual abuse attorneyfrom Greenberg Gross will work quickly to file your case within California’s statute of limitations, or time limit. Additionally, a sexual assault attorney will handle all communication with other parties involved in your case as we work to secure a fair settlement for the survivor.
Greenberg Gross Will Handle Your Case with Compassion
Sexual assault cases are perhaps more sensitive than any other type of civil case. There are intense emotions evolved, and the effects of your assault may still be fresh. Our firm has handled many sexual assault cases, and we’ll provide the compassionate legal representation that you deserve. We’ll ensure your comfort as our client by:
- Protecting you from the potentially traumatic details of your case—we’ll provide all necessary updates without unnecessarily reminding you of your assault
- Answering your questions in as detailed a manner as possible—whether by phone, email, office visit, or other means
- Working to accommodate any special requests you have for your case
- Helping facilitate your physical, psychological, and emotional recovery in any way that we can
Sexual assault victims in California deserve a law firm with relevant experience. Because of our prior experience with sexual assault cases, we know what sexual assault victims need, and that is competent, empathetic legal representation. You’re never alone with Greenberg Gross on your side.
What Constitutes Sexual Assault in California?
California Penal Code section 243.4 makes it illegal to touch any intimate part of another person against their will for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual assault. However, this is not the only penal code related to sexual assault in this state. Other laws specifically address various types of sexual assault, including:
- Statutory rape
- Child sexual assault
- Oral copulation of a minor
- Child prostitution
- Child pornography
- Internet sex crimes
Sexual assault can be perpetrated against adults and minors, and perpetrators of these assaults must be held accountable both criminally and civilly. Civil lawsuits against perpetrators of sexual assault can help survivors recover compensation and justice for what happened. If you have further questions about what qualifies as sexual assault, speak with a California sexual assault lawyer at Greenberg Gross.
What Damages May You Recover as the Victim of Sexual Assault in California?
Sexual assault is a heinous act for which there must be consequences. Among other punishments for the liable party, Greenberg Gross will work to see that they compensate for the harm they’ve done.
Some of the recoverable damages in a California sexual assault case may include:
Pain and Suffering
Sexual assault may cause physical pain, and the emotional and psychological suffering may be even greater than the physical toll. Your assault-related pain and suffering may include:
- Traumatic memories of the assault
- Difficulty sleeping
- Acute or generalized anxiety
- Substance abuse as a means of coping with your assault
- Lost quality of life
Sexual assault victims deal with their trauma in different ways. We’ll work with you, your mental health professionals, and experts to identify your recoverable forms of pain and suffering.
The psychological and emotional effects of sexual assault can make it difficult to work. If your assault interferes with your ability to do your job, then you may:
- Lose your salary or wages
- Lose your position with your employer
- Lose earning power
- Miss the chance to earn bonuses and retirement contributions
- Experience other professional damages
Your career is tied directly to your financial status, so we’ll work hard to recover any professional losses you’ve experienced. This is a critical step towards getting your life back on track.
You may have required emergency observation after your sexual assault. Depending on the nature of your assault and any resulting injuries, you may still be undergoing medical care. Any healthcare costs stemming from your sexual assault will be part of your lawsuit.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) lists post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as one of the mental health consequences of sexual assault. You may need treatment for PTSD and other psychological symptoms.
We’ll seek complete coverage of any counseling, medications, and other treatments you require for symptoms of sexual assault.
What Is AB 218?
In 2019, California passed Assembly Bill 218 (AB 218), which took effect on January 1, 2020. This law extended the amount of time that a survivor of sexual assault has to file a lawsuit. Survivors can now file a civil lawsuit against the alleged perpetrator of the assault either:
- 22 years after reaching the age of majority (until they are 40 years old), or
- Five years from the date the survivor discovers or reasonably should have discovered a psychological injury caused by the assault after they have reached the age of 18.
AB 218 also establishes a three-year window within which adult survivors of sexual assault are allowed to file lawsuits against perpetrators if they were previously barred from doing so due to the statute of limitations expiring.
Contact a Sexual Assault Attorney in California Today
If you or somebody you care about has been the victim of sexual assault, contact our California sexual assault lawyers as soon as possible. At Greenberg Gross, we use our resources to help hold the perpetrators of sexual assault accountable for their actions. Do not hesitate to call our team when you need a sexual assault attorney by your side.