After suffering a serious burn injury, you could face significant medical bills and miss work while recovering. On the other hand, if you sustained burns, you could recover compensation from the liable party for your injuries. You should not have to pay for the mistakes of someone else.
A San Fernando Valley burn injury lawyer from Greenberg Gross can help you recover the compensation you need to move forward with your life. We want you to recoup the money you had to pay already because of your injuries. In addition, our team can help you hold the liable party accountable.
Steps Our Burn Injury Attorneys Will Take to Prove Your Case
Since we opened in 2013, we have worked hard to provide the best legal representation. We have handled many complex and challenging cases and know how to navigate through complicated legal waters. Therefore, when we take on your case, we can take the following steps:
- Investigate the accident: We can read through the accident report or police report to determine what happened. Our team can also interview witnesses and review evidence to know what occurred during the accident.
- Build a case: Using the evidence we reviewed and collected through the investigation, we can build a case against the liable party. So while we hope to settle outside of court, we can build your case, so it is ready for trial if we do not settle.
- Identify your losses: We can determine the value of your losses by reviewing your recoverable damages. Once we develop a value for your case, we can use that number when negotiating with the opposing party.
- Negotiate with opposing counsel: Our team has skilled negotiators with unique negotiating strategies. As a result, we can advocate aggressively for you to recover the compensation we seek.
When we take these steps to fight for you, it gives you a better chance at recovering the maximum compensation for your injuries.
You Could Recover Compensation Through a Burn Injury Claim
Our burn attorneys can work hard to prove that someone else’s negligence caused your injuries. Once we do, we can fight for you to recover compensation for your losses. Examples of the types of compensation you could recover include:
- Medical bills: The costs of any medical treatment you had to pay for out-of-pocket. Burns could cause someone to receive extensive treatments for a long time. You could also recover compensation for future medical costs through a claim.
- Lost income: Depending on how long you missed work because of your injuries, you could recover compensation for the lost income. In addition, if you cannot return to work or in the same capacity, you could recover compensation for future lost income.
- Pain and suffering: Burn injuries and their treatments can cause severe pain for a long time. If you have dealt with pain, discomfort, or anguish because of your injuries, you could recover from pain and suffering damages.
- Emotional distress: You could recover compensation for the emotional turmoil your injuries caused. Negative emotional issues could include but are not limited to anxiety, fear, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Pain and suffering, and emotional distress are called non-economic damages. This means there is no exact monetary value associated with their loss. Instead, our legal team can use the tools we have to assign a monetary value to the loss. Then, we can fight for you to recover that compensation.
You do have a limited time to recover compensation for your injuries. In California, per CCP § 335.1, you have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit against the liable party. Once the two years are up, your chance of recovering compensation significantly decreases.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are different from your typical injury in how they get treated. They can significantly impact your skin for the rest of your life. Johns Hopkins Medicine classifies burns as the following:
- First-degree: Burns that only impact the epidermis, which is the outer layer of the skin. The site where the skin burns is red, painful, and dry. Typically, first-degree burns do not blister or have long-term tissue damage.
- Second-degree: These burns impact the epidermis and dermis layer of the skin. The area of the skin that received a burn is typically red and swollen or painful. They can also cause blisters on the burn site.
- Third-degree: These burns destroy both the epidermis and dermis. On top of that, they can damage bones and muscles that lie underneath the burn site. With a third-degree burn, the burn site looks white. In addition, these burns destroy the nerve endings, so the person impacted has no feeling in that area.
The more severe the burn, the more specialized the treatment is.
How to Treat Burns
Burns are treated differently based on their severity. Regardless of the types of treatments you went through, it could have forced you to acquire substantial medical bills. You could also have dealt with intense physical pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Types of treatments burns require include:
- Early cleaning
- Removing the dead skin and tissue from the burned area
- Skin grafts
Your injuries could take a significant time to heal. However, the treatments can give you the best chance at healing and not feeling significant pain. On top of costing you a lot in medical expenses, you could also have to miss work during your treatments. Our team can ensure you recoup the costs of any money you lose because of your burn injury treatments.
Discuss Your Claim with a San Fernando Valley Burn Injury Attorney Today
At Greenberg Gross, our attorneys can help you seek justice after you have sustained a burn injury. Our San Fernando Valley burn injury lawyers understand how painful your injuries are and how much they could impact your life. These cases are often complex and require a knowledgeable person to help guide you through them.
Contact our law firm today to request a consultation. We can listen to your story and hear about how your burns occurred and how they have impacted your life. Then, we can support you through the process to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.