Sexual assault is a horrendous crime that can damage survivors psychologically for the rest of their lives. For many individuals, the emotional suffering after an assault can be overwhelming and cause them to develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that requires counseling. For others, the incident may force them to quit their jobs, lose relationships, and lose joy in hobbies or activities they once enjoyed.
How sexual assault may affect someone is deeply personal. Our law firm helps victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse across the United States seek the justice they deserve. If you live in the Bay Area and would like to come forward with your case, a San Francisco sexual assault lawyer from Greenberg Gross can help you pursue financial compensation for your damages. We can review your case and discuss your legal options during a free consultation.
Our Trial Lawyers Work Hard to Seek Justice for Sexual Assault Survivors
At Greenberg Gross, one of our objectives is to seek financial compensation for sexual assault victims. While money cannot remove the trauma these events cause, it can help survivors regain some control over their lives and begin to take steps forward. For many, compensation can be the beginning of recovering:
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Therapy or counseling costs
- Missed job opportunities and promotions (and other reduced earning potential)
Our lawyers will fight to have your pain and suffering acknowledged. Additionally, we offer the following services to build your case:
We Are a Safe Space for You to Tell Your Story
When you hire a San Francisco sexual assault lawyer from Greenberg Gross, you get more than legal representation. We advocate for our clients’ rights and safety, and we begin this process by allowing you to speak your truth in a private, non-judgmental environment. Your lawyer cares about your experiences in your own words, and we aim to represent you fairly and honestly.
We Will Conduct a Separate Investigation to Collect Evidence for Your Case
If you do not have any evidence readily available, that is fine. Our team will conduct a separate investigation into your case to retrieve any documentation that can support your claims, such as:
- Private photographs or video footage
- Video footage from outdoor cameras, such as surveillance cameras or traffic cameras
- Witness testimony
- Medical records
- Forensic evidence
- Toxicology reports
We Will Handle Communications to Maintain Your Privacy and Well-Being
The litigation process can often be traumatic for sexual assault survivors, and our team wants to reduce as much discomfort for you as possible. When you work with our firm, we offer to respond to all communications involving your case, including:
- Messages from the defendant
- Notices about court hearings, case requirements, and trial updates
- Settlement offers you may receive
- Questioning from inquiring parties, such as journalists, law enforcement officers, and private investigators
This allows us to protect your case while it is ongoing. If necessary, we may take measures to ensure your privacy throughout your case.
Our Team Is Available to Provide Counsel Whenever You Want Guidance
Sexual assault cases are sensitive and complex—and that’s not even considering the legal paperwork involved. We understand navigating the legal system in California can be intimidating, which is why we allow ourselves to be of easy access whenever you want advice on your case.
Whether you want to ask about how you should prepare for trial or whether you should settle your case before it goes to court, our team is here to answer all questions. Your lawyer can also advise you during questioning and all other legal appearances so that you always remain aware of your legal rights.
California’s Statute of Limitations Encourages Sexual Assault Survivors to Step Forward
California imposes a general two-year statutory deadline for assault cases in civil court, per CCP § 335.1. This means plaintiffs would have two years from the date of their assaults to file lawsuits.
However, CCP § 340.1 lists exceptions to the general statute of limitations, namely that victims of childhood sexual assault may pursue a lawsuit once they have reached legal age (18 years old). In these cases, plaintiffs have until they turn 40 years old or five years after discovering they suffered abuse to file their lawsuits.
Resources for Sexual Assault Victims in San Francisco, California
If you were a victim of sexual assault or rape in San Francisco, California, the following resources are available to you:
- San Francisco Women Against Rape (SFWAR): The organization has a 24-hour crisis hotline and provides support, education, and additional resources for sexual assault survivors.
- La Casa de las Madres: This advocacy group helps victims of sexual assault and domestic violence in San Francisco. The organization helps people of all ages and genders and can also help those in need form safe exit plans.
- The Trevor Project:This organization provides resources and counseling to sexual assault survivors in the LGBTQ+ community. It also provides hotlines for suicide prevention and crisis intervention and resources for domestic violence survivors.
- 211 United Way Bay Area:This local listing provides a directory of sexual assault hotlines in the Bay Area.
- When Everyone Acts Violence Ends (WEAVE):This California-based nonprofit public benefit corporation offers resources for victims of sexual assault, sex trafficking, and domestic violence.
Call Now to Speak with a Team Member About Your Case in a Free Consultation
At Greenberg Gross, we advocate for sexual assault survivors nationwide. Our mission is to help clients seek justice and hold the appropriate parties accountable for their gross negligence and wrongdoings. If you or a loved one in San Francisco has been living with the trauma of sexual assault, our team wants to help you have your voice heard.
We can build your case and fight for your right to be compensated for your pain. Call now to hire a San Francisco sexual assault lawyer from Greenberg Gross to represent you. The first consultation is free.