Sexual abuse can be traumatizing physically, emotionally, and financially. You can begin to rebuild your life by seeking justice and compensation for your damages.
Although no amount of money will make up for or change what you have been through when you are struggling to cope after this traumatic experience, compensation can help you access the treatment you need to heal. A Palm Springs sexual abuse lawyer at Greenberg Gross could help you hold the liable party accountable and get the most out of your claim.
How a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Palm Springs Can Help
After everything you have been through, the last thing you need to be dealing with is a difficult litigation process. A Palm Springs sexual abuse attorney will work tirelessly to help you overcome the odds, rebuild your life, and recover the compensation you are entitled to. When you choose our firm to take on your case, you can expect our team to:
- Conduct an in-depth investigation into the sexual abuse you experienced so we can gather the evidence we need to prove fault and establish culpability
- Review and document the ways your life has been affected by the sexual abuse you experienced so we can accurately calculate the value of your damages and estimate fair compensation
- Prepare all necessary documents and court filings, as well as handle the negotiation process with an insurance company
- Provide compassionate legal care
- Maintain your confidentiality throughout the length of your case
- Meet important filing deadlines
- Communicate with liable parties and their defense attorneys on your behalf
- Represent you if your sexual abuse lawsuit goes to trial
We can also keep you updated on the progress of your case and work to streamline it as much as possible. We understand that the legal process can be emotionally taxing on survivors, so we work to take the burden off your shoulders.
Recoverable Damages After Sexual Abuse in Palm Springs
Sexual abuse often has a devastating impact on survivors’ lives. When you pursue legal action against your abuser and other liable parties, there are a variety of losses you may be able to recover. The types of damages you are entitled to are known as compensable losses. These are often referred to as economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are monetary and will often consist of medical bills, costs of mental health counseling, diminished earning capacity, the money you lost when you had to stay home from work, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
Non-economic damages describe how your life has been affected by the sexual abuse you went through. They do not have a set financial value, so it is up to your attorney to quantify non-economic damages accordingly. They can impact each survivor’s life differently. Some examples of non-economic damages often awarded in Palm springs sexual abuse lawsuits include:
- Fear and apprehension
- Depression and anxiety
- Embarrassment and shame
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished quality of life
- Skin scarring and disfigurement
Punitive damages could also be awarded in sexual abuse claims. However, they are not a type of compensatory loss. It is at the court’s discretion whether punitive damages are awarded, and often punitive damages are only awarded for gross negligence, reprehensible actions, or intolerable conduct.
If you are hoping to get a better idea of what your sexual abuse lawsuit could be worth, the best way to find out is by contacting your personal injury attorney at our firm for a free case review.
Hiring a Sexual Abuse Attorney in Palm Springs
Many survivors of sexual abuse in Palm Springs have concerns that they will not be able to afford the costs of hiring an attorney. However, our firm will never charge you any upfront or out-of-pocket expenses to take on your case. In fact, your Palm Springs sexual abuse lawyer at our firm will absorb all of the risks associated with pursuing your case.
We will cover the costs of hiring expert witnesses, your court fees, and other out-of-pocket expenses on your behalf. You will not have to pay anything unless we win your sexual abuse lawsuit.
Statute of Limitations in Palm Springs Sexual Abuse Cases
Under Assembly Bill 218 (AB 218), which took effect in January 2020, survivors of childhood sexual abuse can now file a lawsuit against a responsible party:
- 22 years after reaching the age of majority (until they are 40 years old), or
- Five years from the date the survivor discovers or reasonably should have discovered a psychological injury caused by the assault after they have reached the age of 18
- A three-year period that ends on December 31, 2022, for survivors of childhood sexual assault if they were previously barred from doing so due to the statute of limitations expiring
Making sure your sexual abuse lawsuit is filed before the statute of limitations runs out is essential. Your Palm Springs sexual abuse attorney will be able to carefully analyze the details of your case to determine when the statute of limitations will run out and make sure to get your lawsuit filed before this deadline. If your lawsuit is not filed before time runs out, you will lose your chance to have your case heard in civil court.
Work With a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Palm Springs Today
The process of recovering compensation due to sexual abuse can be intimidating. Although you may be hoping to put this experience behind you, with help from an attorney, you can take control of your life and recover the funds you deserve.
Get help from a Palm Springs sexual abuse lawyer with Greenberg Gross and fight for justice. Complete our quick contact form or call our office for your no-cost, risk-free consultation today.