Sexual assault is any type of nonconsensual sexual contact or sexual violence, whether the harm is physical, psychological, or both. Since sexual assault is a crime, perpetrators can be tried and convicted, serve time in prison, and pay restitution to the court. But the criminal justice system doesn’t always dole out the justice that victims need.
If you or a loved one are a survivor of sexual assault, you deserve justice on your terms. You can work with a sexual assault lawyer to pursue a civil trial against the perpetrator and any liable third parties. The Long Beach sexual assault lawyer from Greenberg Gross is ready to hear your story and help you get justice.
Seek Justice for Sexual Assault Through the Civil Court System
When charges are filed against a perpetrator, they are tried in criminal court. The prosecution represents the state, not necessarily an individual victim. But victims can pursue their own case against an abuser and sue them in civil court. While the results of this case don’t have any effect on the results of a criminal case, civil lawsuits can be a fulfilling way for victims to get their own justice.
Your Long Beach sexual assault attorney will focus on getting you individualized justice for your pain and suffering. We can even recover damages to cover the financial consequences of sexual assault that you may be dealing with. These damages include assault-related medical expenses, lost income, and legal fees.
Suing a perpetrator can be an especially important option for survivors who don’t get justice from a criminal trial, such as if a jury finds a perpetrator not guilty or the judge gives a lesser sentence. At Greenberg Gross, we can help you hold the perpetrator accountable, no matter the outcome of a criminal trial.
Hiring a Lawyer for Your Long Beach Sexual Assault Case
Having a lawyer may take an incredible burden off your shoulders. You don’t have to gather evidence and prove that the assault took place and that the perpetrator harmed you. We can interview witnesses, gather physical evidence, and use other resources to build a case that demonstrates the negative impact the assault has had on your or your loved one’s life.
A sexual assault attorney from our firm also handles all communications with the perpetrator’s legal team. We represent you in hearings and civil trials, taking the lead based on what legal options are best for you.
Having a sexual assault lawyer on your side also strengthens your civil claim. We will be there to support you as you stand up to the person who assaulted you and help hold them responsible.
Why Choose Greenberg Gross?
There are three main qualities that make Greenberg Gross the top choice for your sexual assault case:
- Compassion: We know that coming forward about your experience can be challenging. That’s why we treat every sexual assault or abuse case — and survivors — with care and professionalism. We also protect your identity as needed, seek justice on your terms, and support you through every step of the process.
- Reputation: Our partners are regularly recognized as top lawyers in California and Los Angeles. Their winning verdicts have also been featured as top verdicts in the state and around the country.
- Experience: Our legal team has handled many cases with sensitivity and professionalism. The partners at Greenberg Gross have worked on both sides of the courtroom, served local and state court systems, and worked on big and small cases.
At Greenberg Gross, we provide free consultations so we can review your case together and determine your best legal options for seeking justice. We sincerely want to help you, which is why we also take on cases for no upfront costs to you or your family.
We Handle Many Types of Sexual Assault Cases in Long Beach
Since sexual assault is defined as any unwanted and nonconsensual sexual contact, there are many different types of sexual assault, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest national network (RAINN). Here are some of the types of sexual assault cases we handle for survivors in Long Beach:
- Rape and attempted rape
- Statutory rape
- Child sexual assault and abuse
- Groping or sexual touching
- Sexual coercion or pressure
- Date rape, or assault of a person who could not consent
If you’ve had a nonconsensual sexual encounter other than what’s listed here, a Long Beach sexual assault attorney from our law firm can help you understand your legal options for seeking justice.
Possible Liable Parties in Your Sexual Assault Case
The first party we will hold accountable in your sexual assault case is the perpetrator, the person or people who assaulted you. Depending on the circumstances of the assault, we may be holding one or more of the following people accountable:
- A teacher, professor, coach, or counselor
- A clergy member, pastor, or church official
- A coworker, manager, or employer
- A classmate or team member
- A doctor, nurse, or another healthcare provider
We can also hold liable third parties who did not actively participate in the assault but were liable for your safety or the actions of the perpetrator. Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to hold some of the following parties accountable for their role in the assault:
- Churches or religious organizations
- Schools, colleges, or universities
- Daycares, community centers, or youth groups
- Summer camps
- Private businesses
- Healthcare facilities, such as a hospital, a clinic, or a nursing home
Greenberg Gross isn’t afraid to stand up to any liable third party, no matter how big, that played a role in the physical and psychological harm of another. We can advise and support you in determining how you want to seek justice.
Start Seeking Justice Today With Our Long Beach Sexual Assault Attorneys
The team at Greenberg Gross is ready to hear your story and help you seek justice. We want to help you hold the perpetrator and any liable third parties accountable for the pain and suffering you’ve experienced. We believe that no one deserves to live with the emotional and financial consequences of a sexual assault.
Contact our office for a free consultation to learn more about your legal options for seeking justice.