Sexual abuse inflicts physical and psychological pain on the victim. If you or a loved one has suffered any form of sexual abuse, a San Diego sexual abuse lawyer from Greenberg Gross will represent you.
We will work to hold liable parties accountable for violating you or your loved one. Regardless of the status of any criminal proceedings, you have the right to seek justice through California’s civil system. We’ll lead that fight for justice.
What Qualifies as Sexual Abuse in San Diego?
California’s criminal code categorizes “abuse” as an act that:
- Is meant to intentionally or recklessly cause bodily harm
- Places a person at imminent risk of bodily harm
The code specifically mentions “sexual assault” as an illegal form of abuse. Sexual assault could include:
- Unwanted fondling
- Unwanted oral copulation
- Any other non-consensual sexual act
- Bigamy, incest, and other “crimes against nature,” depending on the details
If you have been mistreated sexually in any way in San Diego, we want to hear your story. Sexual misconduct is never acceptable, and there is no such thing as a “minor” sexual abuse case.
Our Firm Handles All Kinds of Sexual Abuse Cases
Each victim of sexual abuse presents a completely unique account of events. We listen intently to learn how the abuse happened, who perpetrated the abuse, and what effect the abuse has had on the victim.
We’ve handled cases involving:
- Athlete sexual abuse
- Film and TV industry sexual abuse
- Child sexual abuse
- School sexual abuse
- Music industry sexual abuse
- Religious institution sexual abuse
- Many other specific forms of sexual misconduct
Whatever the circumstances of your case are, our firm has the experience necessary to lead your lawsuit.
Damages That Victims of Sexual Abuse in San Diego Suffer
No two victims of sexual abuse in San Diego are the same. We know that you will have a unique array of damages, and we’re ready to identify what those damages are. There are some common damages we see among sexual abuse victims, including:
Pain and Suffering
The effect of sexual abuse can vary immensely from victim to victim. The details of your abuse, the age at which you suffered abuse, and other factors may play a role in your emotional and psychological response to the trauma. Sexual abuse could cause:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Thoughts or attempts of self-harm
- Trust issues
- Difficulty maintaining relationships
- Other problems that cause you pain and suffering
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains that sexual abuse survivors may be more prone to substance abuse and risky behaviors. These tendencies may significantly diminish your quality of life, increasing your pain and suffering in the process.
Professional Struggles (and Related Financial Consequences)
The CDC also notes that survivors of sexual abuse may have difficulty maintaining employment. The psychological and emotional effects of your abuse may:
- Cause you to miss work on days when your symptoms flare up
- Limit your earning power
- Prevent you from earning promotions and bonuses
- Restrict the types of jobs you’re able to work
- Cause great financial stress
A San Diego sexual abuse lawyer from Greenberg Gross will identify your professional losses and any other damages resulting from your sexual abuse.
The Cost of Treatment for Psychological and Emotional Struggles
If you undergo treatment related to your sexual abuse, those who caused or allowed your abuse should cover the cost. You’re not responsible for the trauma you’re suffering through, and you shouldn’t have to pay the financial cost of that trauma.
When sexual abuse causes physical injury, you may face medical costs. You may even face a bill for any medical services needed to diagnose your abuse.
Greenberg Gross will seek to ensure that liable parties cover any abuse-related medical expenses.
How Our Lawyers Seek Accountability for Your Sexual Abuse in San Diego
The attorneys at Greenberg Gross have a passion for representing victims of sexual abuse. These victims are often defenseless against their perpetrators. We want to provide a voice for you or your loved one. Just as importantly, we want to hold liable parties accountable for the harm they’ve caused you.
We can assist you or your loved one by:
- Investigating your sexual abuse: We’ll gain a complete understanding of your abuse-related circumstances. As we investigate, we’ll collect evidence, identify liable parties, and may hire experts to help build your case. Our attorneys will interview any witnesses whose accounts are relevant to your case.
- Naming liable parties as defendants: Once we’ve identified those liable for your abuse in San Diego, we’ll name them as defendants and file a formal legal complaint. Liable parties can include both abusers and anyone who allowed your abuse to happen.
- Handling the legal duties of your case: Completing a lawsuit may require us to complete much paperwork, place many phone calls and emails, fact-check, file motions, and complete other steps in the legal process. That’s our job, and these are duties that we’ll happily handle for you.
- Leading settlement negotiations: As heinous as sexual abuse is, settling could be a viable outcome in your case. If a settlement offer aligns with our calculation of your damages, then we may advise you to accept. You will always have the final word when it comes to settling or going to trial.
Greenberg Gross is comfortable in the courtroom. If circumstances lead us to a trial, then we won’t hesitate to argue your case in front of a jury.
Our firm has a few non-negotiables when it comes to client service. We always update you as your case evolves, we are always available when you need us, and we always fight for the entire financial recovery our clients deserve.
Call Greenberg Gross Today About Your Sexual Abuse Case in San Diego County
Sexual abuse cases require the greatest amount of tact and compassion. Our firm handles these cases as a primary practice area. Let us use our experience and knowledge of civil sexual abuse cases to fight for you.
A San Diego sexual abuse lawyer from our team is ready to start your case. Call Greenberg Gross today for your free consultation.