Drivers, pedestrians, and even passengers on board a bus can invariably suffer severe injuries when involved in a bus accident. Whether caused by a negligent bus driver or another driver on the road, if you sustained injuries in a bus accident in Santa Monica, you could receive compensation for your losses from the liable party.
A Santa Monica bus accident lawyer from Greenberg Gross will stand by your side to fight for your right to recover compensation from the accident. So, as you deal with the aftereffects of an injury because of someone else’s negligence, let us take charge of the legal aspects of your case while you focus on recovering.
How Can an Attorney Help After a Bus Accident?
The benefits of hiring a bus accident lawyer from our team go beyond filing a claim. We will fight for your rights while you focus on recovering from your injuries. The advantages of choosing an attorney from Greenberg Gross include:
- We handle communications on your behalf. There may be various parties involved in your case. We can advocate for you during any necessary communications and advise you on any settlement offer from insurance companies. Rest assured that we keep your best interest in mind with every interaction.
- We investigate your accident. We gather as much information as possible, utilizing resources that support your case. Then, we use the information to prove the at-fault party’s liability for the accident.
- We can support you through the process and legal proceedings. We advocate for you to receive a fair settlement. In addition, we can represent you at trial if necessary.
Our team understands trauma. That is why we handle each case with empathy and compassion. We put in the work and time to get to know each client and case, allowing us to tailor a solution that fits your needs. In addition, we offer free consultations to see how to serve you best. We can discuss all costs and fees during our initial meeting.
Our Santa Monica Attorneys Can Fight for Your Bus Accident Recovery
Several factors could affect your case. Thus, a personal injury lawyer from our team will prepare your accident case and fight for compensation on your behalf while you focus on the road to recovery.
Types of Recoverable Damages From a Bus Accident
Your particular losses after the accident affect how much compensation you could receive. Damages include both economic and noneconomic losses, such as:
- Medical costs from the emergency room or hospital care you received after the accident to future medical expenses, including ongoing doctor’s appointments, medications, or surgeries.
- Income lost from being unable to work while you recovered from injuries sustained in the accident. If your injuries resulted in a reduced earning capacity, our team can help determine the value of projected lost future income.
- Pain and suffering for your mental or physical discomfort due to the accident. Pain and suffering may also include emotional stress, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, or loss of enjoyment if you can no longer participate in activities because of your injuries.
- Wrongful death damages if you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence.
Placing a monetary value on these losses can be challenging. However, hiring an attorney to evaluate the value of your case can help to reduce some of your stress. Our bus accident lawyer serving Santa Monica can fight for your rights, so you can focus on recovery.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit?
It is critical to act as quickly as possible to meet the statute of limitations. For example, in California, CCP § 335.1 provides you two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit if the accident involved a bus run by a private company. However, if a Big Blue Bus or school bus hits you, you have six months to file a claim against a public entity according to GOV § 911.2.
Contacting our team as soon as possible after the accident will give them more time to prepare and ensure you meet all deadlines. In addition, if you can’t settle with the insurance company, you must file the lawsuit within the stated timeframe or potentially lose your right to compensation.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Depending on what type of bus (school, city, or private) caused your accident, multiple parties can be liable. The leading causes of bus accidents include:
- Driver negligence or inattention
- Poor road conditions
- Dangerous road design
- Mechanical failures
- Worn bus tires
- Unsafe turn
- Failing to check mirrors
Complications may arise if your bus accident involves several responsible parties. This situation could require communicating with multiple insurance companies as you seek compensation for your damages. However, hiring an attorney can help alleviate the stress of communicating with insurance adjusters. Our team will have your best interest in mind so you can focus on recovering and being with your family.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
Bus accidents often result in catastrophic injuries or fatalities. According to the latest data, a 2020 Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) report found that school buses account for the highest percentage of fatal crashes. Common injuries from bus accidents include:
- Tissue damage
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
These injuries can seriously affect your life and lead to mounting medical bills and time off from work. However, we can fight for your right to recover appropriate compensation that eases your concerns about caring for your family.
Call Us Today for Your Free Consultation After a Santa Monica Bus Accident
Protect your right to the compensation you deserve by contacting the Santa Monica bus accident lawyers at Greenberg Gross. Call us today for your free consultation or complete the request form on our website.