Sexual abuse is always heart-wrenching. When it happens to a child, it is infinitely more devastating. As a parent or guardian, you release your child to the world for school, summer camp, athletics, and other activities to enrich their lives. When people you trust with your child taint these activities, you must demand justice.
If this happened to you, our San Jose child sexual abuse lawyer can fight for you. Greenberg Gross is here for your entire family. We understand how sexual abuse affects children and will assist your family in navigating the path of recovery. We will fight for justice, and we will be your voice. If you discover that a child in your care has been abused or realize you were abused as a child, contact our child sexual abuse team for a free case consultation today.
You Can Trust Greenberg Gross With Your Child Sexual Abuse Case
Finding a legal firm to represent your child can be challenging. At Greenberg Gross, we represent survivors of child sexual abuse and their families.
- We have recovered millions for survivors of child sexual abuse.
- Our child sexual abuse team has experience handling the intricacies of these cases. We are ready to hold the liable party responsible.
- We prepare each case for trial and fight for your rights through the entire process.
- Our compassionate team understands the trauma of child sexual abuse.
- Our clients pay no upfront fees. We fight for you.
Two of our Greenberg Gross founding partners are among the top 100 lawyers in California.
How Our San Jose Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer Can Help Your Case
When considering if a lawyer can help you, it is essential to understand what they can do for your family. As a sexual abuse survivor, worrying about filing paperwork and collecting evidence can be overwhelming. Our San Jose child sexual abuse lawyer handles the details for you, including:
- Identifying all liable parties
- Investigating the circumstances of the sexual abuse
- Documenting the damages you suffered
- Collecting records of injuries, emotional trauma, and other damages resulting from the sexual abuse
- Calculating a monetary equivalent for your damages
- Helping you understand how the laws apply to your civil complaint
- Working with child sexual abuse experts to establish and prove liability
- Preparing your case for trial and filing it on time
- Negotiating for a possible out-of-court settlement
Our child sexual abuse team serving San Jose will use every available resource to fight for your rights.
Getting the Emotional and Confidential Support You Need
Confidentiality is crucial in a child sexual abuse case. You entrust our team with information about what happened to you or your child. In turn, we offer emotional and legal support. We will fight for the compensation that you deserve.
If you are an adult survivor of sexual abuse that occurred when you were a child, you may file a lawsuit as an adult. The filing deadlines vary depending on your case’s circumstances and are defined in California Assembly Bill 218. The bill assigns the filing deadlines as the following:
- Within 22 years of an individual reaching age 40 (age of majority)
- Within five years of the realization of psychological injury or illness
Guardians or caregivers of people with developmental disabilities should understand the vulnerabilities this population faces. They may not be able to comprehend what has happened or know that it is wrong. It is important to be aware of the signs of child sexual abuse. If you think there may be cause for concern, please speak with a child sexual abuse attorney. You can reach out to us for a free consultation anytime.
Understanding the Subtle Signs of Child Sexual Abuse
In many cases of child sexual abuse, the child may be too scared to speak up. Abusers frequently tell the child they are “special” and that it is their “little secret.” Because of that, it is vitally important for parents and guardians to be aware of the subtle signs of child sexual abuse. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Exhibiting a drop in grades or lower performance in school
- Difficulty walking or sitting
- Bleeding, swelling, or bruising in the genital area
- Loss of interest in hygiene
- Anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stained or bloody undergarments (or hiding soiled garments)
Children may also display an unusually detailed knowledge of sexual behaviors. Alone, any one sign may not be cause for concern, but if you are aware of a child exhibiting more than one, please act on your suspicions. Begin by talking with the child. Be reassuring and comforting as this is not an easy topic for children or adults to discuss.
If unsure of how to approach the subject, please get in touch with an agency that can help. If a child in your care is a survivor of child sexual abuse, report it to the authorities.
Do I Need a Lawyer, or Can I Handle a San Jose Child Sexual Abuse Case on My Own?
You may file a lawsuit on your own without a child sexual abuse attorney. Still, you should be aware of specific challenges that may cause stumbling blocks.
Financial costs associated with filing a lawsuit include court fees and consulting charges. When you hire a lawyer, the law firm takes care of these costs until the final resolution of your case.
Research into the allegations, case law, and the legal process can be time-consuming. Our San Jose child sexual abuse attorney knows the law and has spent years studying and working within the justice system. They know the rules for filing and will file the proper documents on time and in the correct court.
Litigation can be time-consuming. If you are trying to juggle your job, family, and the necessary work associated with a civil court case, you can become overwhelmed quickly. Having a child sexual abuse attorney means concentrating on your family and employment. At the same time, our legal team does the detailed work.
Child sexual abuse can affect your entire family, not just the child. When you partner with our team, we will manage your case so that you can focus on your family.
Call Us for a Free Consultation About Help From a San Jose Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer
You trust Greenberg Gross to handle your case with compassion and understanding. Our San Jose child sexual abuse lawyer regularly handles these delicate cases and represents survivors and their families. We will protect your child’s identity and demand accountability from their abuser.
We are ready to fight for your child, so your family can heal and move forward. For a confidential and free case evaluation, contact Greenberg Gross today.