California Public School Sexual Abuse Attorney
The sexual abuse of students in California public schools occurs much more often than parents and guardians realize. Unfortunately, this type of abuse is vastly underreported, and it takes place in elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the state. Survivors are often left without a way to obtain adequate justice or compensation for what happened to them.
At Greenberg Gross LLP, our team is here to help if you need a California public school sexual abuse attorney by your side. If you or somebody you know has suffered from abuse by a school staff member, volunteer, or even a fellow student, we want to help.
Why Hire Greenberg Gross LLP for Your Public School Sexual Abuse Case?
- Two of the founding partners at Greenberg Gross LLP have been named among the top 100 lawyers in California.
- Our team offers high-quality, elite legal representation to survivors of sexual abuse in their times of need.
- Our firm has significant experience handling complex personal injury cases against public entities, particularly involving sexual abuse survivors seeking justice for what they have endured.
- We take California public school sexual abuse cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our clients will not have to pay any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation they deserve.
How Can a California Public School Sexual Abuse Lawyer Help?
It is crucial to protect the rights of public school sexual abuse survivors. Please understand that the school and school district have tremendous resources at their disposal to fight back against any allegations of child sexual abuse. By hiring a skilled California sexual abuse attorney with experience dealing with public entities, you can help an abuse survivor level the playing field against these large institutions. An attorney can:
- Use the full resources of their office to investigate the allegations.
- Help establish the liability of the abuser.
- Work to uncover evidence that the school or district covered up the abuse.
- Ensure that the case is filed within the appropriate California statute of limitations deadline.
- Work with trusted sexual abuse experts and medical professionals to help properly calculate total damages.
- Fully prepare the case for trial to ensure the survivor of the sexual abuse is treated fairly.
How Often Does Sexual Abuse Occur in California Schools?
There are no exact statistics related to how often sexual abuse occurs inside schools throughout California. However, data provided by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAIN) shows that approximately 10 percent of all children will experience sexual abuse before their 18th birthday. This is an alarming statistic, but perhaps an even more shocking number is 93 percent. According to RAINN, 93 percent of the perpetrators of sexual abuse are known to the survivor. Further breaking these numbers down, 59 percent of the known abusers are acquaintances (as opposed to family members), which often means teachers and school staff members.
How often does sexual abuse occur in California schools?
There are no exact statistics related to how often sexual abuse occurs inside schools throughout California. However, data provided by the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) shows that approximately 10 percent of all children will experience sexual abuse before their 18th birthday. This is an alarming statistic, but perhaps an even more shocking number is 93 percent. According to RAINN, 93 percent of the perpetrators of sexual abuse are known to the survivor. Further breaking these numbers down, 59 percent of the known abusers are acquaintances (as opposed to family members), which often means teachers and school staff members.
Who Is Liable for a California Public School Sexual Abuse Case?
There may be various parties that could be held liable in the event a person experiences sexual abuse inside of a California public school. First and foremost, any perpetrator of sexual abuse must be held accountable. Our attorneys regularly discover that perpetrators within the school system include:
- Other school staff
- School volunteers
- Older students in leadership positions
However, other parties could also be held liable in these cases, particularly those who failed to take steps to prevent abuse from occurring or covered up abuse after it was discovered. This can include other staff members at a school as well as the school or school district.
How Long Do You Have To File a California Public School Sexual Abuse Claim?
As of January 1, 2020, survivors of sexual abuse in California have a new tool that alters the statute of limitations in these cases. AB 218 was passed in 2019 and took effect in 2020, and includes several changes, such as:
- Expanding the amount of time that survivors have to file civil lawsuits against abusers or entities that fail to prevent their abuse. Now, sexual abuse survivors can file civil claims until they reach 40 years of age, or within five years from the time they discover the abuse, whichever timeframe is later.
- AB 218 also created a three-year “look back” window that allows adult victims who were abused as children to file sexual abuse lawsuits if they were previously barred from doing so because of the statute of limitations.
We understand that the timeframes involved in these cases can seem confusing, so please reach out to one of our California public school sexual abuse attorneys for a free consultation on your case today so we can help determine the best steps moving forward.
Compensation for California Public School Sexual Abuse Survivors
There may be various types of compensation available to victims of public school sexual abuse in California. First and foremost, our attorneys strive to ensure that survivors receive compensation for any medical care or mental health care stemming from the sexual abuse. Additionally, we also work to obtain compensation for survivors’ pain and suffering damages, emotional distress damages, and loss of enjoyment of life damages.
Contact a Public School Sexual Abuse Attorney in California
If you or somebody you love has been the victim of sexual abuse in any California public school, the time to seek legal assistance is today. At Greenberg Gross LLP, we understand how challenging coming forward with these cases can be, regardless of whether or not the survivor is still a minor or now an adult. Our compassionate team has experience handling these claims, and we know what to do to protect your identity, ensure that you are comfortable moving forward, and help hold the perpetrators of the sexual abuse accountable. You are a survivor, and we want to help make sure that you receive the closure, justice, and compensation you deserve. When you need a California public school sexual abuse attorney by your side, contact our team today.