Older sexual abuse claims that were previously time-barred may be eligible to be filed under Assembly Bill 2777.
Adult sexual abuse survivors who were previously unable to file a case because of an expired statute of limitations may now be able to do so. In addition, survivors whose abuse was covered up can take action against any entities who helped hide the abuse. Our sexual abuse lawyer can help you get started on your case.
What Is Covered Under Assembly Bill No. 2777?
Assembly Bill No. 2777, or, as it is also called, the Sexual Abuse and Cover-Up Accountability Act, was enacted on January 1, 2023.
The Act amends Section 340.16 of the Code of Civil Procedure in this way:
- Survivors of adult sexual abuse have until December 31, 2023 to file a lawsuit regardless of when the abuse occurred, if their case meets the following criteria:
- The abuse occurred on or after your 18th birthday;
- An entity or institution shares responsibility for the abuse that occurred; and
- The entity or institution attempted to cover up the abuse or prevent information about abuse from surfacing.
- Adult survivors have until December 31, 2026 to file a lawsuit, if their case satisfies the following criteria:
- They were 18 years of age or older when the abuse occurred;
- The abuse occurred on or after January 1, 2009; and
- They were previously unable to file a lawsuit because of an expired statute of limitations.
- The Assembly Bill does not apply to claims that reached a final judgment or settlement prior to January 1, 2023.
Your time may be limited. It is important that you get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can give ourselves time to build and file your lawsuit before time expires.
Our Firm Helps Adult Sexual Abuse Survivors Find Justice
When you hire our attorneys to take on your case, we can help you throughout the legal process. To guide your case, we will:
- Explain how Assembly Bill No. 2777 applies to your case
- Help you complete any necessary paperwork
- Gather evidence to prove you justice
- Explain the filing deadlines that apply to your case
- Communicate with any parties involved in your case for you
- Provide a free, confidential consultation so you can share the details of your case
- Build a case against potentially liable parties
There may be challenges with filing an older claim, such as difficulty finding witnesses or evidence. You should not attempt to handle filing a lawsuit against those responsible for your abuse on your own. Our team will stand by you through every second of your case. Please let us help you fight for the justice you deserve.
Damages You Can Recover by Filing a Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
Not only can sexual abuse lawsuits bring a sense of justice to survivors, but they also allow survivors to recover compensation. Some of the damages we can pursue from the potentially responsible parties may include:
- Medical expenses: Any medical bills you paid because of your sexual abuse may be compensable. If you had to pay for medical tests, prescription medications, or doctor’s appointments, you could recover compensation. This can also cover the costs of counseling.
- Pain and suffering: Sexual abuse survivors may have endured physical pain and suffering. We can add this damage to your demand for compensation.
- Mental anguish: If you suffered any type of mental anguish, such as anxiety or depression, as a result of your sexual abuse, you could recover compensation for mental anguish.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: When you no longer enjoy activities you once did in the aftermath of sexual abuse, you can seek compensation for your lost life enjoyment.
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity: Some sexual abuse survivors may need time away from work to recover from their injuries. Other survivors may never return to the same job they worked before they suffered abuse. In either case, we can help you pursue compensation to make up for the income you lost.
If you or a loved one survived sexual abuse, our team is here to advocate for you.
Our Attorneys at Greenberg Gross Are Here To Help You After Sexual Abuse
Survivors live with the aftermath of sexual abuse forever. Our California sexual abuse attorneys cannot change what’s happened, but we are here to fight for you and help you in your pursuit of justice and a fair settlement or judgment. Call us to learn about how we can help you during a free consultation. We’re ready to get started on your case.