California Sexual Assault Attorney
No person should ever have to worry about being sexually abused or assaulted. However, survivors of sexual assault often find it challenging to gain closure and compensation for what happened to them. Even if a person is charged with a sex crime and found guilty in court, this does not necessarily guarantee justice for the survivor.
At Greenberg Gross LLP, we are standing by to help if you need a dedicated California sexual assault attorney by your side. We handle the civil side of these claims and work to ensure that survivors receive the compensation and closure they deserve.
Why Hire Greenberg Gross LLP for Your Sexual Assault Case?
- The sexual assault lawyers at Greenberg Gross LLP are amongst the leaders of litigating complex sexual assault cases in California.
- We have extensive experience and success in helping sexual assault survivors seek justice for what they have gone through, and we strive to hold individuals, institutions, and companies accountable.
- We make sure that every client receives individualized attention for their case so we can ensure that they are properly cared for at all times.
- We take California sexual assault cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our attorneys will not collect any legal fees until we secure the compensation our clients need.
How Can a California Sexual Assault Lawyer Help?
A sexual assault attorney in California will provide invaluable assistance to a survivor’s case. A lawyer can use their resources and legal expertise to conduct a full investigation into the incident so that all liable parties are discovered and held accountable. Liable parties can include:
- The perpetrator of the alleged assault
- Any institution or company that covered up the assault
- Any institution or company that failed to prevent the assault
A California sexual abuse attorney will ensure that all cases are filed within California’s statute of limitation, or time limit. Additionally, a sexual assault attorney will handle all communication with other parties involved in an effort to secure a fair settlement agreement on behalf of the survivor.
What Constitutes Sexual Assault in California?
California Penal Code section 243.4, makes it illegal to touch any intimate part of another person against their will for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual assault. However, this is not the only penal code related to sexual assault in this state. Other laws specifically address various types of sexual assault, including:
- Statutory rape
- Child sexual assault
- Oral copulation of a minor
- Child prostitution
- Child pornography
- Internet sex crimes
Sexual assault can be perpetrated against adults and minors, and perpetrators of these assaults must be held accountable both criminally and civilly. Civil lawsuits against perpetrators of sexual assault can help survivors recover compensation and justice for what happened. If you have further questions about what is considered sexual assault, speak with a knowledgeable California sexual assault lawyer at Greenberg Gross LLP.
What Is AB 218?
In 2019, California passed Assembly Bill 218 (AB 218), which took effect on January 1, 2020. Under this law, the amount of time that a survivor of sexual assault has to file a lawsuit has been extended. Survivors can now file a civil lawsuit against the alleged perpetrator of the assault either:
- 22 years after reaching the age of majority (until they are 40 years old), or
- 5 years from the date the survivor discovers or reasonably should have discovered a psychological injury caused by the assault after they have reached the age of 18.
AB 218 also established a three-year open window with which adult survivors of sexual assault are allowed to file lawsuits against perpetrators of their assault if they were previously barred from doing so due to the statute of limitations expiring.
Contact a Sexual Assault Attorney in California Today
If you or somebody you care about has been the victim of sexual assault, contact our California sexual assault lawyers as soon as possible. At Greenberg Gross LLP, we can use our resources to help hold the perpetrators of sexual assault accountable for their actions. Do not hesitate to contact our team when you need a skilled sexual assault attorney by your side.